Saturday, November 8, 2008

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds






Next week marks the first year anniversary of my beloved Lucy’s death. Lucy was born July 14, 1994 and died in my arms on November 15, 2007. She was diagnosed with Spleen Cancer. The doctors told me that they could operate to remove the tumor, and she would live for a few more months, but after long discussions with Lucy, we both decided she would rather be out of pain and leave us with pride, dignity and love in her heart. She had done such a wonderful job of protecting and loving me for 14-years and she did not want to live a few more months with pain.


Lucy was the love of my life, the unconditional kind of love. We had many good times together, long secret chats about life, chats that she would never repeat, complete trust and lots of snuggles. For a red head, she was not a feisty girl; she was a lover, nurturer, and sweetheart to the core. I remember one night, when she was just a puppy; I received a phone call from my grandmother in Australia telling me that my Grandfather had just passed away. I was beside myself with grief as we spoke on the phone, and Lucy climbed up into my lap, staring at me with her big brown eyes, complete sympathy and empathy and she told me that I would be ok, she would love me, the sadness would soon become less, and that I would smile again.

As loyal as Lucy was to me, I have felt that getting another dog would somehow betray her. I have been unable to see myself with another dog. Her loss was worse than any heartbreak I have ever endured. However, today, instead of morning her, I decided to celebrate her. Madison and I drove an hour out of LA to look at puppies. We feel in love with a beautiful little white Labrador retriever. She was born 17 days ago, and is still nursing with her mommy, so we will drive an hour every weekend to visit and play with her until she is old enough to come home to her new family. Actually, we pick her up Christmas Eve….(Santa is going to get BIG BROWNY points this year)!

We think we will call her Sadie, but until we spend more time with her, we cannot be certain of her name. More to come…


But this is for Lucy…..

My dearest beloved Lucy,
I will forever love you
I will never forget you
I hope you love me still
I hope you are happy
Wherever you are
No one can replace you
You were my friend
I was your friend
I hope you are dreaming of me
As I am dreaming of you
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you

1 comment:

Justin Davis Davanzo said...

wow..do i remember that day...a year already...I so relate....She was a sweet one.