Friday, May 16, 2008

A little slice of heaven



Today I decided that after my doctor’s appointment I would ride my bike down to a little deli on 11th Street. I heard about this place last year, a place I promised a friend I would visit. I cannot believe I have waited so long…I am in love….I had no idea that such a simple little visit to a deli could put such a huge grin on my face. Firstly, this place is no secret. I had to fight for a parking spot and tackle my way to get a number from the little red machine, but this did not remove the smile from my face. This place is like eye candy for the tummy with tons of special items on the shelves that I had forgotten all about, such as Nutella. I used to eat Nutella as a kid. That yummy chocolate paste the you smear all over your toast and as you eat it, leaves smudge all over your cheeks. Yummy…....Anyway, as I waited for my number to be called, I felt like a kid in a candy shop, small and insignificant compared to all the smells and colors that surrounded me. The hustle and bustle of the people intoxicated me, as I stood there, nervous and excited all at the same time. When the man on the other side of the counter finally called out my number, 59, I thought I might have a panic attack. What should I order? So many choices…..I approached the counter and in a very quiet voice, asked if I could please have a turkey and salami sandwich. As I waited for my sandwich to be prepared, the man standing next to me was anxiously clutching his number, waiting for it to be called, #66. They called number 61; he turned to me and said, “I love it when people just leave because they don’t want to wait. I hope people to start to leave soon”. He looked at his number again. I smiled and said I had never been here before. He looked at me as if I was an alien from outer space, or maybe the look was because he felt excited for me, that someone new was going to experience a little slice of heaven.

The man behind the counter handed me my sandwich and I began to walk through the aisles a little aimlessly trying not to bump into anyone. I stopped and looked at the jars of capers, jams, pasta sauces, special cooking tools, smelling cheeses, looking at wine bottles; I must have walked around for 20 minutes in a slight state of utopia. I could not bring myself to purchase anything just yet, I was feeling rather intimidated. So tomorrow, I think I will return and buy out the place and maybe even cook up a storm.

Sometimes it’s the little things….the little things in life that can give us a surge of happiness.

Note to Self: Do not forget about the little things….

Oh…….the sandwich was perfection! So was the Toblerone I ate for desert......

2 comments:

Vintagedivva said...

Oh boy!!!!!!
Being an Italian American, that was one of the biggest little gems that was suggested to me and it has now become my absolute fav place to find my pecorino romano cheese, my pickled anything for my antipasto's and much much more! That deli rocks me out of my socks!
YUM!

Nita June said...

Are we all talking about the same thing??? if so...i sure do miss it and hope you'll eat one for me....