Friday, December 14, 2007

Castaway




Yesterday I decided I would explore the islands of Fiji, so I booked myself on the South Sea Cruise to Modriki Island, where they filmed the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks. This film holds much significance to me personally, as like Tom Hank’s character, at the end of the movie he is standing at a crossroads and has to choose which road to take. One leading to the women who painted the angels and the other is unknown. I can’t remember the ending now…as to which road he chooses, but I think his choice is clear, or at least I hope.

So, this morning I wake up early to catch my bus to the dock, where I will board my vessel. The journey will take many hours as we stop at other islands to pick up and drop off other passengers. Some of these islands we stop at are so small you could probably walk the perimeter less than 30 minutes. We finally arrive at a small island called Mana and board a Schooner, which will take us to Modriki. Aboard our vessel, the “Sea Spray’, are 10 couples and me, the oddity…

First our journey will take us to a Fijian island village. The Sea Spray anchors and a small boat takes us ashore to a small village. We are told by our captain to cover up and remove our hats and he asks us if there are any volunteers to drink the Kava as a sign of trust, which will allow is to trespass upon this village. I raise my hand, but it goes unnoticed and two men are chosen to do the honor. Kava holds a very significant tradition for the Fijians, and you can never enter a village without it. Kava is a pepper and has been used as a stress reliever. Its properties combat depression, reduce anxiety, and lower blood pressure.

We enter the village and are taken to a ceremonial room, where the Chief sits along side some other villagers. The two men drink the Kava, clap their palms three times and we are welcomed to their village. The Chief asks us if anyone else would like to have the Kava. I move forward, feeling a sense of obligation and respect and a small boy stands before me, claps his palms three times, and hands me the Kava juice. I drink it and clap my hands three times as a sign of respect. Other than myself, there are only two other men (no woman) that take the Chiefs offer. I am not sure if I am stupid or, just being respectful. Oh well….I don’t feel any effects at all. None…It doesn’t taste very good, but I feel good that I honored the Chief.

I walk through the market and purchase a salt bowl, and now I feel I have paid enough respect to walk around the village and take some pictures. We only have 20 minutes with the villagers, so I hurry to take it all in.

The 10 lovebirds and me, board the little boat that takes us back to the Schooner and we are off to Modriki Island – also known as Castaway Island. We anchor and the Captain asks if anyone would like to jump overboard and swim ashore. I raise my hand, walk to the gate, my snorkel, and flippers in hand, and jump overboard. I assume there will be others that want jump overboard; however, I am the only one. So… I swim alone to Castaway Island, while the ‘lovebirds’ take a dingy.

I love snorkeling. There is an entire other universe under the ocean that is like being on another planet. I could very easily get lost floating around for days looking at all the amazing fish and coral. I love the way my body feels floating carelessly and the sound of my own breath and spying on the unknown universe below.

1 comment:

Justin Davis Davanzo said...

clapping my hands right now!!! that is so awesome that you kept doing everything the way you wanted to!! i love it...i feel so inspired by your braveness and your journey...it is truly amazing what you are experiencing....