Sunday, December 16, 2007

Fiji Time

MALA MALA ISLAND
Today I boarded a small boat and traveled to Mala, Mala Island. This island is uninhabited and the only thing to do there is eat, drink, swim, snorkel, or lay in the sand.

I of course choose to do all of them. Firstly, I snorkeled along the coral reef that surrounds this tiny island. It was spectacular as the reef is relatively shallow, but the drop off is spooky. I keep looking down at this drop off into oblivion hoping a shark wasn’t lurking about. We saw a shark from the boat, so I know they are out there. I have an extreme fear of sharks and even when I am swimming in a pool I think that a shark might just pop out of nowhere. My braveness is stiffening since I have embarked on my journey and I am learning to face my fears, one-at-a-time. No shark appears as I snorkel, at least I didn’t see him if he was out there.

Then I eat, drink, swim, and lay in the sand. Surprisingly I did this for 6 hours. In Fiji, there is “Fiji Time” and “No Fiji Time”. Fiji Time of course means, there is no such thing as time and no need to rush, hurry or be somewhere. When you wait for a bus and it is late, the boys at reception smile and say “Fiji Time Ah!” -- No Fiji time means you need to be at the airport to make your flight. Most brochures for tours or excursions will be specific as to whether it is Fiji time or No Fiji time. Today – I am on Fiji time.

Everyone should experience Fiji Time - it is blissfully therapeutic, and my day on Mala Mala was just that.

1 comment:

Justin Davis Davanzo said...

mmmm...fiji time sounds and looks amazing!
isnt' snorkeling awesome???? good on ya