Thursday, December 6, 2007

Insomnia In a Cloud


Last night I could not sleep, as random thoughts were dancing around in my mind like a leaf on a windy day. As I lay in my cloud thinking one thought, I would say to myself, “oh..that’s a very clever thought, I must remember that in the morning”, but the next thing I know, I am already thinking about something else and ‘poof’, my very clever thought has disappeared into the wind.

One thought that I do remember is what a novice I am with words and as a writer. I read a book a couple of weeks ago called: The Four Agreements, an enlightening little book, with a powerful message. One of the Agreements is, “Be Impeccable With Your Word.” This concept had my mind racing all night long. “The word is not just a sound or a written symbol. The word is a force; it is the power you have to express and communicate, to think, and thereby to create the events in your life. The word is the most powerful tool you have as a human; it is the tool of magic. But like a sword with two edges, your word can create the most beautiful dream, or your word can destroy everything around you.”

This concept seems so sheepishly simply, yet I think it has many connotations. I won’t share all my thoughts about this passage, because it would be very long and arduous and kept me awake all night (and I am too tired). However, it did give me a new purpose, which is to become more educated about words and the expression for which I want to use them. Maybe in the near future, I will be able to articulate and share all my thoughts about this simple little concept, called the WORD.

3 comments:

Swirly said...

That is one of my favorite books, and I try to live by those agreements everyday.

Ms. Conley said...

Yes. Me too. Thank you for your lovely words yesterday..I am Australian! I am actually going to Sunshine Beach - lots of beauty there and then onto Melbourne, where I was born! New Zealand is fabulous. You should absoltely plan a trip to visit your friend. You won't regret it.

Justin Davis Davanzo said...

ooh..good one...i keep going back to the four agreements and they are always so right on...so simple and so difficult at the same time....I think you are truly in a creative and life changing time right now and it is so cool that you are being challenged in your mind and your heart. Keep sharing your words ms conley