Monday, December 10, 2007

FIJI




My sister dropped me off at the Tom Bradley airport and after we said our good-byes I went, checked-in, and get my seat assignment. As it turns out, the flight is completely full and I have a middle seat. Yuck! I ask the woman politely if there would be any chance I could get a window seat. She tells me I have to speak to someone else. So, I do. The other woman tells me the flight is full, bla, bla, bla…so I decide to go out on a limb and ask if they could upgrade me to business class. Cheeky, I know. But, I have nothing to lose by asking. She looks at her computer, then up at me, and says, “We have a window seat in business class, would that be okay?” I say SURE! WOW! So, I guess if you ask the universe for something, you will receive it! I must have angels looking over my shoulder.

After going through all the checkpoints, I make my way to the waiting area at gate 104. All the different types of people waiting there surprise me. I guess I was expecting tourists, but very few look like tourists. Most look like native Fijians returning home. Some resemble newly weds embarking on their honeymoon. None resemble a blonde white girl from Brentwood going on a sabbatical, alone..

I start getting nervous and worried that I am making a bad decision. Maybe I should walk right on out of this waiting area, gate 104, and go straight home -right now. What am I doing? I say to myself…just sit tight and be brave, breathe, relax. But, I cannot – I am all nerves and my stomach is doing back flips. Why am I going to Fiji anyway? I can’t remember my exact thought process now. It seemed so logical at the time, and now I am crying in front of all these strangers for no good reason. Nevertheless, I pull my bootstraps up and I board the plane anyway.

Now I have flown 8,886 miles from LA to Nadi. I Step foot in Fiji at 6:30am. It is absolutely beautiful! The weather is tropical and the people are lovely and full of smiles. This place is stunning. I am ushered to a bus by a man named Bobby, who will be driving me to my hotel. I am wearing my boots (literally), because it was freezing in LA when I left and now I wish I had not.

The bus arrives at the hotel, and many “Hula’s” exchanged. A man named Sam shows me to my room and has already figured out that I am traveling alone on holiday. He says to me, “Maybe you meet a nice Fijian man and never leave”. I smile. Then he says, “Someone like me!” I smile and say “Thank you Sam and good-bye.”

Now I am starving, so quickly get something to eat, put on my bikini, and head out to the beach, and low and behold, my hammock awaits me, hanging between two perfect palm trees. The sky is blue, the water is perfect, and a slight breeze blows to ease the heat. I had better work on my tan a little bit, because I am the whitest person on this entire island. The sounds of birds chirping, wind blowing, and the ocean make me feel like I am in a Corona commercial. I am starting to relax…a little…

2 comments:

Swirly said...

I know all of those feelings so well...went through them when I went to Hawaii for ten days alone. It turned out to be one of my favorite trips ever. By the way, I have that exact same dress.

Justin Davis Davanzo said...

wow...all of this is such a huge journey inside your soul...i think we all go through this for sure when we are alone and in the world...what an incredible journey to go from Brentwood to Fiji....soak it up....i don't have that same dress by the way...but i would love to sit in that hammock! sending you love.