Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Love, Peace and Family




This morning I woke up and decided I would rent a car and go explore Fiji. I set off in my little Thirfty car with no direction in mind and as I drove away from my hotel, a smile appeared across my face for no apparent reason, or maybe a sense of freedom overcomes me.

As I drive thru the little town of Nadi, I realize how impoverished Fiji is. Cars are blowing fumes and there are very few tourists about. This morning over breakfast I heard that Fiji is suffering right now as tourism is their number one source of income (second to sugar cane) and due to internal fighting and a recent Cyclone miss, Fiji is baron of tourists. This is obvious as I drive thru the town of Nadi.

Once I get on the only road in Fiji, there is a very distinct change in scenery. It is tropical and green, with rolling hills and countryside, but along the road, there are brightly colored tin sheds, with freshly washed clothes hanging to dry, cows tied up along side the road and occasionally a man or boy carrying a machete. I become strangely intimidated by this scene and wonder how these beautiful, happy people live like this. I would have stopped and taken photos along the way, but somehow I thought it would be rude or imposing, or maybe I simply felt too vulnerable doing it alone.

I drive for maybe 2 hours and the scene hasn’t changed very much. I pass through another little town and see a sign with an arrow, which says, “To the Fort.” I decide to head up the road and have a look. It takes me about 20 minutes to drive up this little dirt road there isn’t a soul insight, no cars, no people, nothing… except for a horse, a stray dog and some chickens. I wonder if I should turn around… but I am being brave, so continue up the road. Once at the top, I discover that this is a “tourist attraction”, except there are none. This place is called, Tavuni Hill Fortification. The history says that it was established by a Tongan Chief named, Maile Letamani. He left Tonga to avoid dispute in the reigning Tui Pelehaki Family. He established this fort as a place of love and peace for his family. The surrounding area is still occupied by his descendants today.

So, my journey today led me to a special historical place for love, peace, and family…mmmmmm

1 comment:

Justin Davis Davanzo said...

mmmmm...so sweet...love the braveness you have right now....and the observation and love you are bringing....it must be sooo beautiful...