Saturday, December 8, 2007

HOW WILL YOU INDULGE TODAY?


This is my auntie Jenny - my dad's sister. Last night we went and had a glass of wine at Casa Del Mar, which overlooks Santa Monica Beach. Jenny and I usually have our daughters running around when we are together and our conversations are often left midstream and later forgotten because we are interrupted to repair a scooter, or settle an argument. Tonight we had each other’s company exclusively. We gabbed until almost 2am. Way past our bedtime.

I remember being a complete brat at Jenny’s 21st birthday party...I was responsible for the keg and making sure each and every beer had the ‘perfect ‘head ‘ on it. I took this responsibility very seriously. I was 7 years old. (All Australians teach their young to pour a good beer). Back then our age difference seemed like an eternity, but now we sit and talk like old high school friends.

This brief moment made me think how important it is to take the time to know your family on an intimate level. To know ‘who’ they are as individuals, separate from holding the title of auntie, sister, or mother, but to know them as a fellow human being and love them.

So, today I indulge in this moment and tomorrow I will indulge in Fiji!

3 comments:

Justin Davis Davanzo said...

YOU TWO ARE TROUBLE..you look soo happy and cute...i miss you.

Swirly said...

That story is so hilarious about you being in charge of the keg when you were seven years old. I love it.

I saw your comment about the Hummingbird Girl. I will keep her for you until you return. I'm glad you like her. Have a great trip!!

Ms. Conley said...

Thank you swirly. I can't wait to have her.